Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good bye sweet grandmother

I am so sad my grandmother passed away unexpectedly the other day. It is so hard to be here and not in Romania with my extended family. I am glad my father did get to go. We got him on a flight three hours after we found out she had passed. It was quite a task, getting him ready and having the airport issue a ticket so fast enough for him to catch that one flight three hours later. I do feel God's hand in this and I really am thankful things worked out so well to get him there in time for the funeral. If he had missed this flight he would've missed the funeral. He got there at 2am and stayed by his mom to keep vigil the whole night. I can't imagine how hard that must be but I hope in a way that was healing at the same time.
I dreamed of her last night as she was on a hospital bed so happy to see my cousin and me. It was just good to talk to her and dream of her alive.
I have to admit I somewhat prepared myself for this day and mostly prepared mentally for when I would hear the news. Not because she was sick in any way but because she was old (85) and I was so far away and knew that I cannot just go visit her all the time or make the funeral just like it is now. That is one thing that killed me to live here. Even though I love this new home, I still miss my old and I feel like part of me, the Romanian me is coming to a close somehow. My parents now live here and now I don't have any more grandparents. And with my closest family here I still long to go back and feel "home" again. I don't think that will ever change. I just have to learn to live with that.
I will miss my grandmother dearly. She was the only one I had and she was such a sweetheart. I loved spending summers at her house in the coutryside, feeding the chickens and at times helping in the garden or help put the chopped wood away. I will miss her yummy food and the way she loved us all. I always admired what a hard worker she was. She lived a simple, beautiful life. I know after my grandfather died she was lonely and sad a lot and she has been saying she wanted to go for a long time now. I know she is in a better place now, reunited with grandpa. This one thought makes it more bearable.
Good bye sweet grandmother. Te iubesc!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandma. It must be difficult. I know how hard it must be for your dad too. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Scott

By the way, you write really well in English. I was trying to pay attention to see if I could tell that English was your second language in your writing. But I couldn't. It was basically flawless. Good job!

Ioana said...

Madi, imi pare tare rau de bunica ta. Ce miracol ca tatal tau a reusit sa gaseasca un zbor atat de rapid!

Suze said...

I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother passed.

I can understand somewhat about having a herritage in a distant land that you long to be a part of. Although I was born in Canada, I still long for my Uruguayan herritage and all my family there and I missed out on that. My only family left there is my maternal grandfather. But in the end I realize that this is a blink of an eye in the eternities and they are all looking down on us hoping that we do our best to make it back home to our Father in Heaven.

My sincerest sympathies to you and your family at this time.

Holly Wilcox said...

I'm so sorry you and your parents didn't get to be there before she passed away. It's good you have so many wonderful memories of her. I always enjoyed hearing about her simple life and the stories you'd tell me when we were roommates. I have always really wanted to visit her home in the mountains with you and experience county life.

Kirsten said...

Draga mea,
Condoleante tuturori din familiei tale. Ma bucur ca tatal tau a putut sa fie acolo. Va iubesc pe toti!

Unknown said...

Maddy,

I am sorry to read about your grandmother. Please let Noel or i know if there is anything we can do to make things easier for you. We both love you, and wish you and your family the best.

Michael

xcdenke said...

She sounded lovely! Our sincerest condolences. It's always hard to let go no matter how much we prepare.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...