Saturday, August 29, 2009

Camping fun...

Just this past weekend we went camping near Leavenworth. We met with Scott, Candice and Lily (Shane's brother) and Adam and Fawn (sort of a brother as well) the next day. Scott and Adam couldn't come until later on Saturday and we decided to go after work on Friday to find a spot. We made great time and by 8:30pm we got to the campground where we wanted to be. Of course it was full. We went to so many campgrounds that night and they were all FULL. I got so frustrated seeing this word. Seriously God's nature is so big, surely there was a spot there for us. Anyway, after many frustrating tries we went away from this cute, quaint and beautiful Bavarian town and found a spot close to 10pm. As soon as the tent was up the first semi goes by and of course the road is near our tent. As we go to pay I see a big sign saying "NO CAMPFIRES". In the morning we awoke to the pleasant smell of an outhouse. Also near our tent. We make a delicious breakfast with a newly bought camping stove. (Shane woke up early and went it to town to buy something we could cook all this food that we had brought.) We had eggs and bacon. The problem... Lots and LOTS of wasps. They were swarming all over us. It was a miracle we didn't get stung. We eventually got in the car to finish our breakfast. Shane has a phobia of these creatures and I think he was dying inside. After we ate we went to a Walmart nearby to find wasp repellent and on the way there we stopped by a nearby lake and went swimming. I was determined to have fun. Dacian had a lot of fun, he had his cars all over the place. Lavinia mostly ate dirt. I was seriously tired of camping by now. But we had family come and meet us. We were happy they got another spot away from the outhouse and the road and thought the next morning we would eat there and there would be no wasps. Wrong. Oh, and the repellent thingy we bought was the only place the wasps didn't go near. It was the WORST campground spot ever. Don't go to Swauk Campground. Ever.
The next day went a lot smoother. Scott and Candice were so nice to make breakfast for all of us and we survived the bees once again. We quickly left this terrible place and went to Leavenworth. We love this place. Finally the trip was worth it again. We go there often and I never get tired of it. I forgot to take pictures of the place but I have pictures from a different time we went. Sadly we didn't get a photo with all of us either. Anyway, it was great to spend time with family again and even though the spot was the worst the company was the best. Thanks guys for coming.


Can you see all that dirt on her mouth? I should've brought the playpen but the car was already too full.

5 comments:

Holly Wilcox said...

I think it's great you guys are so adventurous. Tyler would have given up and gone home after the campground was full. You go camping all the time!! This weekend was the first time we went camping since we left Utah. Our air mattress slowly deflated, so we slept on the hard ground. (The mattress in really only for me.)
So, do you sleep on any padding at all? I don't think I can go again until I get something to sleep on. Maybe I'm just a wimp.

Maddy S said...

I feel your pain. That happened on my last camping trip. The mattress deflated and it was just awful to be on the hard ground. This time I borrowed my parents' new mattress which is really nice but only a full size. We were really crowded on it. It has this battery thing on it and it inflates really quicly and deflates quickly as well. It's a Swiss navy something brand.

Jessica said...

I'm sorry that everything went wrong! Well, the only "at least" I can give you is that at least it's pretty over there! Here you need to drive 3 hours, just to get to a semi-good looking place

Ioana said...

Imi pare rau de experienta avuta. Eu cred ca m-as fi intors acasa imediat.:)

Candice said...

It was fun to go camping with you guys. I agree, we need to plan ahead and make reservations at a nicer campground next time. You were such a trooper to let Lavinia eat the dirt. I know it's every mom's worst nightmare to have their baby covered in dirt. (I would have laughed at you if you brought the play pen though.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...