Friday, April 16, 2010

Easter 2010, a post that came let's say a little late...

Easter came and went so fast this year. We had a lovely time celebrating with my parents. My mom always makes the best of food and it was so nice since I didn't have much time for baking that my mom did all the traditional Romanian foods (cozonac, pasca-yummy pastries, lamb and other stuff). We of course did the egg cracking where one person first cracks the egg against another person's egg saying "Christ has risen" and the other person responds "Truly, He has risen." Lavinia insisted on taking two eggs herself and cracking them against each other. She did this with many eggs. Dacian also loves this tradition and cracked eggs with everyone. Thank you mom and dad for all you do for us and for a lovely dinner. 

Here's Dacian dyeing his golden tinted eggs. This time the instructions were to paint the eggs instead of dipping them. Every time I dye eggs they look scratched and faded and I am frustrated with that to no end but today I found a link to someone's blog that gave the recipe for making really dark deep reds and other colors so I am excited to try that out next year. 

Here are the kids on Easter morning going out to find the eggs. Thankfully the weather was warmer and it was sunny so I quickly went out to hide the eggs in the morning. I am glad we didn't do it inside. 

Here are the pastries I was talking about. There is no real Easter or Christmas for me without them. They have a lot of nuts and goodness inside. They do take forever to make. Romanians are always in the kitchen for days before a big Holiday. Every Easter I do miss Romania, it's just not the same. I especially liked going to mass at midnight to go get the "light". Everyone goes out to their neighborhood Orthodox Church and the priest prays and then lights up someone's candle and then from person to person we all get our candles lit. We go home carefully making sure to not extinguish our candles. And then we eat and we eat after a pretty much vegan fast that we keep weeks before. We didn't fast much as kids but my mom always cooked vegan type stuff the one or two weeks before. Let me tell you eggs and meat never taste better than after not having them for a while. 
Of course the Easter bunny had to come to my parent's house as well. Again, thank you for the lovely gifts. 


We hope you all had a great Easter and that you also felt the special feeling of knowing that Christ has truly risen. What a wonderful sacrifice He has made for us.

5 comments:

Ioana said...

Ce frumos! Poti sa-mi dai si mie link-ul pentru oua? Si eu ma enervez in fiecare an pentru ca ouale nu arata bine deloc!

Maddy S said...

http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2010/04/01/easter-surprise-eggs-the-easy-version/
Look at this lady's post. She did something else with the eggs that I think is so clever and I might try someday but I like that she gives a recipe to dye eggs and what colors she uses and how much of it. By the look of her eggs it seems plausible. Here's to hoping!

Ioana said...

Mersi mult! Sper sa mearga!

Holly Wilcox said...

Cute kids! Cute table! Love your Romanian Easter traditions and the pastries look soooooo good.

Cristina Karekar said...

Yummy ce bunatati! Mi-a placut mult sa va vad, aratati foarte bine, frumosi si fericiti!! Ne e dor de voi1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...