Saturday, August 14, 2010

Big Four Ice Caves

A few weekends ago we went to this place. I had hiked here before with my parents when Dacian was little and for some reason Shane couldn't come. I loved it so much that I had to show Shane as well. We also invited Kim, Shane's cousin to come with us. The hike was very easy and beautiful and we went on such a hot day that when we got close to these caves it was pure bliss to have the cool breeze coming from the caves blow on us. It was hard to leave that place and want to hike back in that heat actually. 
Well, not days go by after we return from our trip only to hear on the news that a little 10 year old girl got killed there from the ice collapsing on her. There were signs everywhere saying not to go in the caves but apparently the girl wasn't inside but near the caves. Well, we too were near it and of course most people were too. Actually Shane said that a big chunk almost fell on his head but he took a step and the thing fell right by his feet. I am sure he wouldn't have been killed from that but he would've been hurt. Something prompted him to move seconds before this chunk of ice fell on him. So now as I would recommend this hike to anyone I also have to warn them to be extra careful. I guess you can't mess around with nature and also when one's time is to go there is nothing anyone can do about it. I pray for this little girl's family. The mother was also hurt but ended up with minor injuries. Anyway, now go on and enjoy my pictures. : ) 

View of the caves from our trail. 
Well, of course the snow/ice will melt away and pieces of this cave keep on falling away. 

So I guess I could've totally been killed where I was standing. I was not inside the cave even though the picture makes it look like I was. Promise to tell the truth. 
Family shot. I like it. 
And I love this one my son. 
Kim, our fun cousin. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...