Saturday, August 28, 2010

Egg plant spread (Salata de Vinete)

I had a craving for this eggplant salad spread for a while now so with four little eggplants I bought at Costco it was time to get to work. I roast the eggplant right on top of the fire but you can broil them on a cookie sheet as well. ( keep turning every 5 minutes or so until it's all charred)
I turn it until it all looks like this: 


It's very easy to peel the burned up stuff. Keep all the yellow goodness with seeds and all and lay it on a cutting board to drain of the juices a little. 
After it's drained chop it all  and put in the prettiest melamine bowl that your husband may have given you for Mother's day :) OK, totally optional but I had to show you all how pretty my bowls are and to praise them and tell you how much I like them. I can even use them as a double boiler (putting the bowl on top of a pan with water in it) 
Now pour about a cup and 1/4 of vegetable oil in there and a half of white onion chopped finely plus salt to taste. At the end add a little mayo as that will lighten up the color a bit but you can leave that out and it will still be good. 
Voila! The end result is so good. You can eat it with tomatoes on a slice of French bread. I even add feta on top. Very Mediterranean dish and VERY good. I loved the smell of my house while they were roasting however Shane will disagree wholeheartedly. Anyway, we all know how smells bring us back to a certain place sometimes and that was Romania for me. I miss it a lot and since I haven't been there for 6 years and since my parents just went there this summer I was a little homesick.
 Enjoy!
P.S Hubby almost ate the whole thing at once. I will have to buy more eggplants for next time. It's a yummy appetizer.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

we recently "discovered" eggplants, and now try to find all sorts of recipes to cook with them. That spread looks scrumptious!

Maddy S said...

Jessica, did you try eggplant parmesan? I also have another Romanian/Turkish/Greek dish called Mousaka. I might have to post that recipe too. I think your kids would love that.

Ioana said...

Iubesc salata de vinete la nebunie!!! Cu siguranta e una din favoritele mele.:)

Livia said...

Mi-ai facut si mie pofta mare! Pozele tale sunt atat de reusite,si imi place lumina din ele. Ce camera folosesti?

Cristina Karekar said...

Salata de vinete, ce bunatate!!! Fac mereu si eu si ne place la toti, mai ales cu rosii pe deasupra! Imi place mult sa folosesc vinetele si cu ceapa rosie, ardei gras rosu si ciuperci, gatite ca zacusca!!! Do you like "Zacusca"?? Glad Shane ended up loving it!

Maddy S said...

Tfor your sweet comments. Livia, I have SLR Olympus E-410, not the best SLR really but we got a great deal on it. Actually it's a good camera at least good for my skills which aren't all that great. I am such a beginner but I am determined to learn more and become a better photographer for my family mostly. I just don't have money to pay others to take pics that are great. Anyway, what are you using Livia, your pics always look so good. I was actually thinking how dark these pics were but I just don't have time to edit so they are straight out of camera. I realize how much time photographers actually spend on computers to edit their photos so no wonder they charge so much. It takes a ton of time.
Va pup!

Livia said...

Norocoaso ai un SLR!!! Eu nu am inca unul fiindca sunt atat de scumpe. Eu folosesc deobicei un Canon PowerShot SD1300 dar de doua luni mi sa stricat si am folosit camera digitala a lui Jasmine care este un Kodak 3X. Sper ca Mos Craciun sa imi aduca si mie un SLR, Canon Rebel mi-ar placea:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...