Saturday, March 19, 2011

NYC-Part 5

Two more days and I have NY trip covered. Seriously, we did and saw so much that I feel like I have to do it justice by a post a day. But it's sure tedious and I don't know if I can do this for all our future trips. But I shouldn't complain, the more trips the better, right? 
Monday we took off earlier than usual and went to Fort Hamilton. Well, being a holiday they were closed. We took the subway all they way over to Brooklyn and then walked a mile to this place only to find it closed. Also it had just snowed all night so it was rather cold but I love snow so I was happy to see everything all white. 


We wanted to go back to Trinity Church near Wall Street and go to the grave and see Hamilton's grave.
Shane, my sweet historian, took advantage of our trip to see things that he's been dreaming about for quite a while. Hamilton is one of his favorite presidents. But alas because of snow we couldn't go in the cemetery so we just took pictures from the outside.

Grave at Trinity


 So next headed to Flaurence Tavern, a place where President Washington stopped to eat and celebrate right before his inauguration at St. Paul's Catherdral. This Tavern was the happening place at the time and the building is the original one. The downstairs is a restaurant where we ate lunch and the walls were covered in the original wood. We had a delicious lunch that was quite affordable for how fancy the place looked inside. Upstairs there was a museum with a model of the old tavern and artifacts from that era, lots of paintings, old flags, and even the original wall paper on the walls which was amazing. I don't remember all the facts and the famous company name which made the wallpaper but they used to sell it with some pretty scenery, waterfalls and then painters would come add paint over it.  In this one room there were different scenes from battle with George Washington on them. We were lucky to only pay a buck since it was President's day and it was on discount from $10. We didn't even think it would be that cool, and the museum was way bigger than it looked from the outside.

From there we walked to Sea Port, where they have these old ships that you can tour and go inside but because of the Holiday it was closed. You win some, you lose some. 
In front of this place we also saw about twenty heavily armed cops with vests on just hanging out. I think they had dangerous men in their van or something. I was a little worried but all was fine. Actually, I was amazed how many cops actually are everywhere. It made me feel safe to see a couple at every subway station. 
From Seaport we went to Times Square again and then to Grand Central Station. That place is big and beautiful and full of life. Always busy. It reminded me of our train stations and how much we were there for any and every trip we took. Right outside the station you can see Chrysler Building. This is my favorite building in NY. Next we went to the New York Library but it was too late so that was closed as well.

Chrysler Building
New York Public Library
St. Patrick's Cathedral
Inside St. Patrick's
Madonna with Christ
By this time we were pretty tired and were looking forward to sitting down at the Opera which wasn't very far. I was worried I would be too tired and didn't want to fall asleep but I was very much awake and enjoyed the opera immensely. Placido was amazing, and so sweet at the end. He seemed so nice, just caring towards  all the people he sang with, encouraging the audience to keep clapping for them. It was a joy to be able to go there.
I wanted and decided we'd go see Wicked but the prices were too huge for good tickets and the bad or OK seats were all sold out. I just couldn't justify $170 per person. So, one day we may see it but this trip we were OK with the opera for an exchange.
Phew! One more day and NY will be covered.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...